Orthodontic Treatment Phases
- Orthodontic treatment involves three phases
- Planning Phase – Your first couple of visits may include the following:
- A medical and dental history evaluation
- Castings or “moulds” of your teeth
- Computer generated photograph of the head and neck that will aid in planning
- Photographs of your face and mouth
- X-rays of the teeth and jaws
- Active Phase – Active treatment involves visiting your orthodontist on a regular basis for adjustments and following specific treatment requirements to ensure successful treatment.
- Retention Phase – When treatment is completed, the braces and/or appliances are removed and a new appliance is made. Usually these retainers are removable and will maintain the changes made to your teeth if worn continuously until the teeth and bone are stabilized in their new positions.
Treatment and retention times vary depending on each individual case. Your orthodontist will ensure you have a successful treatment for a beautiful smile that can last a lifetime.